Success in Berlin

stats of the week: run 45 km, gym 1.5 h

Berlin was cold and windy but conditions were not too bad to run the famous half marathon with 26,000 other participants. Waiting at the start line I felt recovered and ready to try it. In recent weeks I hesitated to mention my secret target: The qualifying time for the New York City Marathon is 1:57 h within M70. I doubted that I could do it but I knew it wasn't far away.

So I started at the required 5:30 min/km pace and hoped to keep to it as long as possible. And it worked. I was able to increase my pace to 5:27 and 5:26 for the next 5K splits. Unfortunately I faced a hard cough attack between 19 and 20 K which forced me to stop for a while. An incident that happens to me often when I reach my limits. I lost about 30 secs and the final split went down to 5:32. I am still very happy with my finish time of 1:55:26 which is well within the NYC qualifying time. As it is a first come first serve rule I am quite sure to be accepted for 2024. It will be my 12th NYC marathon and definitely my last one.



No comments:

Post a Comment